Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Little More Blois

I completely forgot to mention that when I got back from the chateau, I went to the Museum of the French Resistance in Blois. Blois played an important role in the French Resistance because of its proximity to the the line of demarcation (the Cher river) between occupied and unoccupied France during World War II. Citizens rode bikes to deliver messages and supplies back and forth across the line of demarcation. One quote in the museum saiys that if you didn't ride a bike, you weren't part of the Resistance.If caught, members of the French Resistance were killed or places in deportation (concentration) camps and were subject to the same horrible fate as the Jews.
So many cities in France and Europe were completely destroyed during the war, and so many people killed. And we're still fighting wars? I ask myself everyday, WHY? I wish I knew the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment