Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 16-17, 2009 - Blois
Upon arrival in Blois, I walked the half a mile or so up the hill to the Office de Tourisme which was across the street from the chateau. I inquired about a hostel, but found out that it was located about 20 km out of town and that I’d have to take a bus to go back and forth. So, instead I had them help me find a cheap hotel near the center of town. I can tell you now that cheap certainly does not equal glamorous. I had my own bathroom with a shower, commode, and sink. The bed and mattress were kind of old and saggy. I had a window…. that opened on to a staircase!?! Strange! Some how I knew that this hotel did not have wi-fi. I didn’t even bother to ask. I could barely get phone service, much less internet. I spent most of the evening watching a Doris Day movie in French and addressing post cards.
At 10 pm I headed back to the chateau for a sound and light show (Sons et Lumieres). It was very awesome. We sat inside the courtyard of the chateau on the cobblestones. Not only did they project murals on the walls of the chateau, but they also played music and told the history of the chateau. Basically, the chateau is comprised of 4 chateaux, because each of the 4 kings who lived there had to add a new wing to the chateau, each in a different style. The chateau was one of the places Jeanne d’Arc stopped to pray on her way to Chinon. AND, the chateau was once host to many poetry contests. After the show, I walked back to the hotel, and tried to go to sleep. Unfortunately, the walls were very thin and I could hear every word of the woman next door. Thank goodness I brought ear plugs. Bonne nuit.
The next morning, I got up and took a bus tour of a couple of the chateaux around Blois. I went to Cheverny, which is a beautiful castle, still inhabited by a descendants of royalty. They have over a hundred hounds there for hunting, I suppose. They also have a carriage house, gardens, a park, and boats. They are very, very picky about their grass. DO NOT WALK ON TTHE GRASS. No, I didn’t walk on the grass, but there were signs posted everywhere the said “Respectez la Pelouse!” After Cheverny the bus went to Chambord. My train was leaving soon and I have already been to Chambord. So, I did not get off the bus there…. Sorry guys! =0(
When I got back to Blois, I went to they hotel to get my things. Then I went to the post office to mail some more things home, mostly books and brochures I had collected for my classroom. Then I walked with all my stuff back up to the train station and took a train to Tours. See you in Tours!

No comments:

Post a Comment