Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 8, 2009 - Une soiree sauve





June 8, 2009
Une soiree sauvee.
After finally making it to my hostel, I took a long nap (I was soooo exhausted and frustrated.) from about 2:30-5:30. Then, I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself. I got dressed and took the metro/RER to the Eiffel Tower to ride the Bateaux Parisiens one of many boat tours on the Seine River). I bought a croquet monsieur and a bottle of water off the street and ate while I was waiting for the metro. It was the first thing I had eaten since 6am on the airplane. The metro at 7pm is soooo crowded. I felt like a sardine, but at least I found a seat, most did not. To my surprise, when I exited from the metro, it was pouring rain. It was not raining when I entered the metro, but it was when I exited. By the time I made it to the boats and the Eiffel Tower, I was soaked. Luckily the tour boats are enclosed in glass—good for rain, bad for pictures. ( Please forgive my blurry, spotty pictures...lol.) The bateau was definitely the turning point in my day. I found myself remembering how beautiful and charming Paris could be. I started to relax and enjoy. After the baot ride, I went to the gift shop and bought 50 postcards to send to my students. Then I took a few pictures of the Eiffel Tower before heading back to the hostel. I an impressed that I remember how to maneuver the metro after more than 15 years. Before going to the hostel, I decided to really enjoy the French way of life and I am ,at this moment, sitting in a café (Café Republique) eating quiche and French bread, and drinking hot chocolate. I have to keep reminding myself to slow down, to savor the moment, to enjoy life. The only thing I wish is that I had someone to share my birthday with today. It is a little lonely spending my birthday by myself. Well back to the hostel… it’s almost midnight after all. Bonne nuit, tout le monde!

No comments:

Post a Comment