Friday, June 12, 2009

Fantasy vs. Reality/Success vs. Failure

Wednesday evening, after my last blog entry, it started to rain (and rain, and rain, and oh yeah rain.) It is very diificult to manoeuver a bicycle and an umbrella at the same time. I finally made it to the RER train which took me to the Gare du Nord, which was the closest stop to my hostel. I asked about paying to store my bike in baggage claim, but they said no. There were several shady characters around so I decided not to lock up my bike outside. I walked the bike in the rain several blocks to the Gare de l'Est and again asked about paying to leave my bike. Again they said no. Outside the train station, but inside the gates were about a hundred bikes chained up. It was well lit, and there were police around, so I decided to leave my bike there because it was too far to go in the rain to my hostel. I locked it up with my super thick and expensive new chain, then caught the metro to my hostel.
The next morning I check out of the hostel. I wasn't feeling well, probably from walking in the rain the night before... so, I decided to kind of take the day off and treat myself to a real hotel. I checked on my bike, it was perfectly fine. I wanted to stay at the hotel at the train station, but they were booked. So I went to the tourist bureau and they found me a hotel nearby... with a bathtub and a double bed. Ahhhhh!!!! =0)
To make a long story longer..... when I went to check on my bike this morning.... you guessed it.... it was GONE....STOLEN!!!! Au revoir, Monsieur Velo! =0(

You know, I had this FANTASY about biking around France this summer, then REALITY slapped me in the face.... several times in fact. And, I realized that the fantasy was not going to happen... at least not the way I had envisioned. I did a reality check,and what I realized was that this journey was not just about riding a bicycle around France. It was about seeing new places, experiencing new things, learning about the culture, history, art, people, etc. of France, AND practicing my French. The reality is that I don't need a bike to do any of those things.

So here we go with plan B. (Because I am nothing if not flexible.) I went to the Latin Quarter today and bought a backpack. Then I got together almost everything bike related to ship back to the states tomorrow. Tomorrow morning I will leave Paris and BACKPACK through France for the next 57 days. When I get to an area where I would really like to bike around the countryside, like the Loire Valley, I will rent a bike for the day. Then I can return it at the end of the day and not worry about someone stealing it or bringing it on the train. It will be more expensive to travel this way, BUT if I budget myself, I can still make it happen. The first stop on my backpaking adventure will be Chartres and its infamous cathedral.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY: The thieves may have SUCCEEDED in stealing my bicycle, BUT they have FAILED to ruin my journey. Au contraire, if anything, they have succeeded only in strengthening my resolve and determination to make this the best trip possible. LA GROSSE TOURNEE DE FRANCE will LIVE ON!!!!! =0)

No comments:

Post a Comment