Tuesday, June 16, 2009

June 14, 2009 - Chartres, Day 2



June 14, 2009 - Chartres to Chateaudun
The light show was incredible. Huge projectors cast moving murals onto over 20 buildings in Chartres. There are historic figures and events, dancers, poetry, modern art, religious art, etc. The art is constantly moving and the color constantly changing. “Le Petit Train” is like riding a bumpy roller coaster up and down the tiny cobbled streets of the city. After the show, I walked around the city some more. I tried to take pictures of the light show, but I’m not sure how they will turn out. Then I walked 1 1/2 miles back to the hostel, showered, and went to sleep sometime around 2am. Bonne nuit.
Today, I woke up at 7am, ate my free breakfast, and began my 2+ mile walk to the train station. The plan was to lock up my backpack in a baggage locker, the go to the mass at 9:15. Guess what…. no baggage lockers….lol. Soooo, I hailed a taxi to bring me and my backpack to the church since I had already walked for an hour. The mass had just started. It was nice, but I must admit that I was just a little disappointed. Admit it, when you here Gregorian mass, what do you expect… MONKS, right?... Me too. Alas, there were no monks, just a small choir of 10 or so townsfolk. The chanting was in French and Latin. I was able to remember enough Latin to follow along at least. It has been nearly 20 years since I took Latin in college. After the mass I was going to take theday tour on “le petit train” but the cute little old French tourist started lining up an hour before departure time. I decided I didn’t want to fight for a place on the train.
So, I went to a nearby café, had a nice lunch, and wrote some postcards. At 1pm I went back to the train station to catch a bus to Chateaudun then continue on to Orleans. Tell you about it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment