Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Comfort of Fractions

I've noticed that while I am training, especially on the treadmill or stationary bike, I use fractions to motivate and comfort myself. Everytime I pass a small milestone, I convert it into a fraction. The self-talk in my head sounds like," OK, 1/10 down, 1/5, 1/4, 1/3, alright I'm half way there. Only 1/3 more, 1/4, 3/10, 1/5 - I can totally do this. 1/10, almost there, 1/20....YES, I did it." I don't know why I find such comfort in fractions. You'd think I were a math teacher instead of a French teacher, though I was always good at math. I think the fractions allow me to think in terms of what I have already accomplished versus what I still need to accomplish. I do know that fractions motivate me to keep going and never quit until I've completed the WHOLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment